January 23, 2007

Of Five-Stones and Captain Ball

They’re picking teams to play Captain Ball.
I want to be on Livia’s team
but I know she won’t pick me.
I’m a five-stones player,
I’ve never played Captain Ball before.

My friend, Alvina, she plays it all the time,
she says I should give it a try.
I want to, too, but I don’t dare
to join them, because I’ve never
played Captain Ball before -
what if I’m terrible at it
and my team loses because of me?
What if nobody will want me
on their team ever again?

I’ve been watching them play Captain Ball
for a long time.
A very long time.
The truth is,
I don’t like five-stones;
I mean, I don’t dislike five-stones,
I just don’t like it very much either.
It’s just, you know, something
I happen to be familiar with.

Alvina says she’ll introduce me
to the girls who play Captain Ball
so I can join them and give it a try;
I tell her maybe.
It’s not that I want to think about it -
I know I definitely want to ...
I’m just a scaredy-cat.

Alvina says, if I started playing Captain Ball,
I’ll have to give up five-stones,
because a lot of the Captain Ball team captains
won’t pick girls who play five-stones.
Honestly I don’t care -
it’s okay with me -
it’s just that, you know, most of my friends
play five-stones,
and I don’t know the girls who play Captain Ball
except Alvina, and Livia.

I really want to be on Livia’s team -
I’m just ... I don’t know ...
Maybe I’m shy ...
Okay - and a scaredy-cat:
I’m a very shy scaredy-cat,
a very shy scaredy-cat
who wants to play Captain Ball
and be on Livia’s team.

They’re picking teams for Captain Ball now.
I want to be on Livia’s team
but I know she won’t pick me ...
Because I’m still sitting by the side
with my five-stones friends,
and not out there waiting to be picked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home