October 16, 2006

untitled

i am in a little dinghy
in the ocean
alone

above
pregnant clouds drift in
overcast the sky

a gust births from nowhere
breathes life into the water
makes it spirited

the water grows in strength
in its determination to swallow me

in my little vessel
i am prepared

the sky blossoms
with plump nimbuses

i strap on a life-jacket
i am not ready
but i am prepared

the wind howls
a disquieting lullaby
strong clammy hands rock
my sea-cradle

my nails hurt
biting into the battered wood

i cling on for life
literally

i wish for a mermaid’s tail
i will let go if i had one

the water opens its dripping maw
swallows my boat
swallows me whole

but i resist
frenetically

desperately
at first

aquatic fingers unseen
endeavor to hug me close
to the sea-bed’s bosom

once twice thrice
i bob back up
because i am prepared

but it grows tiresome
i am weary of the struggle

i unbuckle my life-jacket
forget why
i had put it on in the first place

instinct?
fear?

the ocean yawns
knocks me back with a gulp

a pill
a mouthful of whisky

for when one prepares
to sleep

i am tired

i am ready
i close my eyes
sink

on ocean-bed i lie
a mermaid in repose

i breathe water
the source of life

i am oblivious
to all but water

i can sink no deeper
i am content



15th – 16th October 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home